Background

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Peculiar Pictures #3

 
     Those of you new to Chubby Chatterbox might not be familiar with a feature I call Peculiar Pictures. For many years I was a professional illustrator, and it’s a curious but true fact that only half of an illustrator’s output finds its way into print. On rare occasions, the artwork is deemed unsuitable. Sometimes a project is cancelled or an art director changes his or her mind about the direction they want to go. In my case, a large percentage of these illustrations were uncommissioned and painted because of a nagging impulse that, at the time, needed to be scratched. In any event, I have a drawer filled with artwork that has never seen the light of day. From time to time I post these and let you guys offer thoughts and possible titles.
     This piece was painted about eight years ago, and not for any particular project. I don’t generally deal with political issues but this image seems to be screaming a political message. As to what that message might be, your guess is as good as mine.
     Any thoughts?  

14 comments:

  1. We are the birds (common folks) and government has us all hanging by a thread for survival. I don't know. I'm in vacation mode.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine that there'll be a fat cat lurking in the background with glittering eyes.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. It's political because of the ties around the birds. Great symbolism. I agree with Sandee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a slogan in mind but I see a cardinal that's proudly sinned...Does that give you something to work with?
    Nice artwork. You could interpret this one in so many ways.
    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see, the bird feeder is the world and the birds are humans who keep using it even as it's about to crash to the ground and shatter. I'd call it "Hanging By a Thread" and then go send it to the Sierra Club or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to determine the significance of the coins (two pennies, nickel, dime and quarter)... and why the pennies are red and the other coins are blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red bird is a Tea Party person warning of government debt and financial collapse, while the yellow bird represents the Democrats feeding off the public trough. No, no, wait. The red bird represents the Democrats warning of environmental disaster while the yellow bird is a Republican 1 percenter gobbling up all our natural resources. No, no, wait. The yellow bird represents people worshipping at the altar of earthly delights; the red bird is a Christ figure calling on everyone to repent and cast their eyes to the blue skies of heaven. (How'm I doin?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are those cypress trees? That could be a bird feeder on the 17 mile drive near Monterey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only thing I can think of is "It's a trap!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. i guess you could apply an ecological supply - we know that the supplies are running out (wire about to break), but we keep on taking the resources?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I'm sure the cardinal is unraveling the twine for the common good of birds everywhere. Screw bird feeders, let them eat berries.
    You are a talent, I love the illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won't offer any deep philosophical thoughts (as if I could) but I will say that, despite the lack of surrealism, the style reminds me of Magritte. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete