Background

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Peculiar Picture #5


A few years before I retired from illustration to focus on writing, my agent contacted me to ask how much more work I could produce. There’s a lot of down time being an illustrator so I told her I could probably churn out twice as many illustrations as I was currently producing—if she could sell them. She said, “Why don’t you change your style?”


I was insulted; I liked the way I painted and had spent a lifetime mastering my craft. But I was lured by the prospect of more money and decided to try. Over the next few months I painted some of my worst pictures. Mrs. Chatterbox provided a solution. She said, “Don’t just change your style; change everything. Create another identity.”


At first I thought she was nuts, but the more I thought about it the better the idea

seemed. After all, actors do this all the time. So I decided to become someone else. But who? My agent said the market was ripe for non-white artists from countries other than the USA. So I chose my mother’s maiden name (Correia) and became an artist from Brazil (where I’m told there are many Portuguese people). In my fake profile I described myself as Esteban Correia, an artist from Sao Paulo who taught himself how to paint while working as a lifeguard on a nude beach.


Both artists are currently marketing their illustrations online, and some months Esteban’s work outsells mine. Esteban is edgier than I am and seems to have suffered in love more, judging by this peculiar illustration.


This picture is a good example of why neither of us ended up working for Hallmark. It looks like a Valentine’s Day Card from hell.

17 comments:

  1. I should think it would appeal to neurosurgeons, and they have LOTS of money! :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented, no matter your identity. It's strange how an identity can open doors more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it! Although you're right - I probably wouldn't give it to my sweetie for Valentine's Day. It's more of a "good luck on your surgery - I've been there too" kind of card :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! Happy Valentines Day, Stephen, and Feliz dia dos Namorados, Esteban!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Dante had described Valentine's Day in the lowest circles of Hell, that's just what it would look like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your masterpiece elicited an instant grin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the illustration...although it is a little on the angry side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the style developed by the real you. This one is too dark. I've had some bad haircuts before, but nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That illustration tears at my heartstrings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What???? There are two of you? Personally, I find your art very interesting and I like it very much -- edgy or not!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all depends on the wording of the greeting inside . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I likeee! Who wants to work for Hallmark anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep I can see why you classify that piece a Valentines Day Card from Hell. It's because that's exactly what it looks like.

    Have a terrific day. Happy Valentines day too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That man and woman are married (hence being tied together) but they are saying the same thing to each other: CUT IT OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So...do Esteban and you ever fight?

    She is saying to him, "We have to have an open mind."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edginess sells, and I like the picture. I'd use it to market an Anti-Valentine's Day line.
    I hope you and your wife had a Valentine's Day from Heaven.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete